Tuesday, June 07, 2005

DAILY KOS OFF CLIFF

f
Betty Friedman, an early inspiration for me.

At this blog, I often talk about how advertising can warp things because of its insidious influence on editorial content. One of the main straightjackets afflicting the transmission of information and analysis of what is happening stems directly from using advertising as a medium for making money writing.

Recently, at Daily Kos, there was a bad breakdown over the issue of jarring, in bad taste, ads. Instead of examining his use of ads and trying to control the ad's influence on him, the person who uses the name "Kos" (note that I use my real name on line, a proud practice I have followed for years) became flustered because some of the women who read his site were offended by a juvenile, stupid ad for a MSM TV show. He decided to attack women at his own site...
So over the weekend, certain segments of the community have erupted in anger over the TBS ad for their reality show, the Real Gilligan's Island. Apparently, having two women throw pies at each other, wrestle each other in a sexy, lesbianic manner, then having water splashed on their ample, fake bosoms is degrading to women. Or something like that.
Whatever. Feel free to be offended. I find such humorless, knee-jerk reactions, to be tedious at best, sanctimonious and arrogant at worst. I don't care for such sanctimony from Joe Lieberman, I don't care for it from anyone else. Some people find such content offensive. Some people find it arousing. Some people find it funny. To each his or her own.

But I am not Lieberman. I won't sit there and judge pop culture and act as gatekeeper to what I think is "appropriate", and what isn't.

And I certainly won't let the sanctimonious women's studies set play that role on this site. Feel free to be offended. Feel free to claim that I'm somehow abandoning "progressive principles" by running the ad. It's a free country. Feel free to storm off in a huff. Other deserving bloggers could use the patronage.

Me, I'll focus on the important shit.
Perhaps I am sanctimonious, but I was fighting tooth and nail for my civil rights as a woman when "Kos" was born. It was a long and gruelling battle. As a braless (I dislike bras) "hippie chick" I was accused of being a prude when I was living with three boyfriends! Because I was against degrading images of women that the MSM shovelled all over the place. The long battle for the right to be free of neo Nazi Popes and busy body right wingloons is long and hard and never seems to end.

When Kos demanded we not look at the former Nazi Pope's ugly past, I was very offended. When I learned the Pope was blaming specifically me for his "change of heart" when he reverted to his Nazi upbringing, I was doubly angry.

What is this "more important shit" Kos is talking about? One wonders. Does running crummy ads further the cause of anything? Telling us to ignore him or go away...I agree. This is the last time I will address the issue of Mr. Anonymous Kos concerning his own website. But just remember this:

Since day one of the women's rights movement, we were told there were more important things to worry about. War, racism, union organizing, whatever. Anything and everything came first. Once we rocked the cradle and baked the bread and fixed the potholes for free, we could then get some basic civil rights.

I famously stood up to that, at one conference in 1969, when I learned not one woman was going to talk about women's issues at a progressive venue in Berkeley, I took over the hall, standing on my chair, yelling. We were granted one hour's time. Whoopee. Nothing, absolutely nothing, ticks me off more than some la de dah male telling me he is busy with more important stuff than whatever I bring up as an issue.

I don't post at Kos nor read much there but he is a big time so called "liberal" who gets tons of free MSM attention thanks to his readers and posters, many of whom he just insulted.
Sometimes, the best way to kill something you disagree with is to ignore it.
True. Ignore women and you kill our interest. Indeed, Kos disagreed with his own readers but rather than ignoring this and being nice, he attacks with all his mighty powers. "Take that, you irritating females! Dare to distract me from my great task of saving America!"

Quite.

Back in the sixties, ernest women and men in the movement would corner me and demand I shut up. When I explained the issues that concerned me were about things that had a daily impact on my life, specifically, they would say, "we will fix that later," only later never came and I grew louder and frankly, nastier. My biggest fights were with people that should have been my allies and this is why the left fell apart. Instead of embracing "liberation for all" it was a free for all battle over who gets the goodies!

My support for gay rights is simple: they are who they are and what they want is good for them and good for me so why not? My support for minority civil rights: no one wants to live in a world where they are discriminated against so why do this to anyone? So it doesn't matter if the discrimination arises from skin color or religious profession or sex, it is all the same to me, all humans are people too and should be treated equally.

Lastly, in the privacy of my home, I can hang pictures of nudes, which I have because I paint, and it is my own business. But when I drive around town I don't want to see explicit photos using sex to sell whatever. This offends me. It is public. Big difference.

People can watch whatever tripe they want on TV. But when a public web site runs icky ads with an obnoxious picture, this intrudes on me in many ways. Avoiding a public site is a solution but it shouldn't ever come up in the first place.

Pull those ads, dude!

Oh, and about all the people on line running blogs hiding their identity: 99.9% of the time there is no need to do this. If you are that embarrassed about your involvement with your own words, gads! Buck up! Take a stand. Draw a line in the sand. Be a man! Brave!

Years ago, I used to publish my home address on forums when people attacked me. Some actually showed up at my mountain! Heh. I don't hide from anyone, anywhere, any time. This is what power is all about. Being able to stand up proud and say outloud whatever I want. Thank you.
|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home